Originally called the 'President's Palace', the official residence of American presidents was officially named the 'Executive Mansion' in 1810, and renamed the 'White House'
in 1902. It is 168ft long, 152ft wide (including porticoes) and 70ft high with six floors, 132 rooms, 35 bathrooms, 147 windows, 412 doors, 12 chimneys, eight staircases and three lifts and it requires 570 gallons of paint to cover its outside surface.
It also has a tennis court, jogging track, swimming pool, cinema and bowling lane.
While the interior of the building was being renovated in the 1940s, President Harry S Truman lived across the road in a building called Blair House.
The White House is believed to be the only private residence of a head of state that is open to the public, free of charge.