It has frequently been asserted that there are no English words that rhyme with purple, orange, silver or month.
This is untrue:
- A curple is a strap on a horse's saddle (also known as a crupper), or a slang term for the buttocks.
- To hirple is to walk with a limp.
- To turple is to fall or tumble or, in the case of animals, to die.
- A sporange is a spore-containing sac in mushrooms (which also leads to the compounds hypnosporange, macrosporange, megasporange, microsporange, prozoosporange and tetrasporange).
- A chilver is a ewe-lamb.
- Grunth (or Granth) is a sacred Hindu scripture.
Mathematicians might also argue that if cardinal numbers are identified as 1, 2, 3, 4, 5' n, (n+1) and so on, the corresponding ordinals would be first, second, third, fourth, fifth ... nth, (n+1)th, the last of these being a perfect rhyme for 'month'.
A jenny is a female donkey; a jack is a male. Donkey itself is an... MORE