False teeth, according to a survey by Düsseldorf University Hospital, are the third most likely item to cause problems by being swallowed accidentally.
The only items that more often require medical treatment after accidental swallowing are chicken bones and fish bones.
In February 2012, a 74-year-old man named only as Chen died in New Taipei City, Taiwan after swallowing his false teeth during a session with a prostitute.
The prostitute, who was 62, reported that at the end of the 30-minute session, Chen collapsed and fell back on the bed with his eyes open but without moving.
She tried to wake him by shaking him, but called paramedics when this was unsuccessful.
Medical staff rushed to the scene, but he was found to be dead on arrival at the hospital where an examination revealed that his dentures were found lodged in his throat.